Contract Designer - Remote
DescriptionABOUT OUR COMPANY
Kanopi Studios is a Design, Development & Support Agency with a fully distributed team of 45 people who are experts in Drupal & WordPress.
We design, build, and support websites for clients who want to make a positive impact.
All done with craftsmanship, a bit of whimsy, and the desire for a better web.
As our business continues to grow rapidly, so does our team. We’re excited to announce this opportunity to join our team as a Contract Designer.
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
Anne Stefanyk, CEO/Founder
It was the love of the open source community and the direct need she saw for an agency focused around customer success that drove Anne to build Kanopi.
She envisioned Kanopi’s workplace to be a place where the clients and employees alike would feel connected and supported. A place where she could feel 100% confident that every detail of every project would be covered. She imagined a place where all who engaged with Kanopi would feel surprised and delighted by the day-to-day operations.
With that vision in mind, Kanopi Studios was born. Kanopi Studios is now a team of 45 people, where 95% of our business comes from word of mouth and referrals. Kanopi is about good work with good people creating a better web for everyone.
ABOUT THE JOB
As a Contract Designer, you will work closely with Kanopi’s teams to design and create beautiful frontend experiences, tackling complex creative problems in a fun and team-oriented environment. You will not only contribute to our clients’ needs, but your design expertise will also contribute to the Kanopi Studios website and other marketing and communications materials used to promote the company. You will create stunning website layouts, user interfaces, and exceptional user experience using a strategic approach based on agreed-upon goals, user stories, and other project parameters. You have a deep understanding of information flow, readability, and interface usability principles to create design solutions that are not only visually beautiful but also translate into highly functional, legible, and easy to use web pages and user interfaces. The Contract Designer reports to Jessica Skewes, Director of Ideation & Strategy.
Your typical work week might include:
- Guiding conversations, assisting clients in fine tuning page goals, strategy, and brand positioning.
- Creating and modifying wireframes and designs based on approved strategy, branding, page goals, research and user persona findings.
- Anticipating and flagging issues, requests or other factors that could alter a project’s scope of work, budget, timelines, etc.
- Providing final files in an appropriate format for themers. Being available to answer questions that may arise in the process of executing designs.
ABOUT THE COMPENSATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
This is a contract position. Hourly compensation is commensurate with experience. Not to worry. The pay is competitive and what you’d expect for this role. This is a 100% remote role, but you must live and be able to work in North America.
NOW... LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU!
We are looking for candidates who…
- Have 3-5 years of web design experience, including designing for custom plugins and themes.
- Have experience consulting with clients in an agency setting - planning, documenting, and presenting creative solutions.
- Have experience working in a fast paced environment on multiple simultaneous projects
- Have experience creating layered design mockups for responsive theme implementation
- Demonstrate inclusive, supportive, and thoughtful interpersonal communication skills.
At Kanopi, we believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQ+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
If you think this post was written just for you, here’s what to do next:
- Submit your resume and a link to your portfolio.
- Answer the questions you see here on this page.
- Send us a cover letter.
Now… About that cover letter… This is VERY important!
Please include all of the typical reasons why you’d be an outstanding candidate for this position, plus answer these two questions:
- Over the past year, what has been your most important achievement, either professional or personal?
- If you were a superhero (heck, maybe you already are!), what would be your superpower and why?
If we feel like you may well be the perfect candidate, we’ll contact you to set up a short phone screen to kick off the interview process. We’ll only contact those candidates that we feel are a good match. Sorry. That’s just the way it goes.
We've done our best to describe the company, our customers and the role. But hey, we're not perfect, so if anything here is unclear, include any questions you might have in your cover letter.
I think that's it.
If you're awesome, we want to hear from you!
Kanopi is a distributed agency—meaning that we get the job done from our homes, from a co-working space or coffee shop—wherever we do our best work. We are collaborative and dedicated to creating awesome websites for our clients.
Benefits of Working at Kanopi
Fully Remote: Work where and when you do your best. It’s about feeling connected to others, having a flexible schedule and staying healthy.
Top Talent: Since we are not limited by walls, our ability to hire the best is limitless. Collaborate, learn and surround yourself with a strongly skilled and diverse team.
Travel: Love to see the world? So do we. Just find a place with good wifi, get connected and make great work happen!
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by those assigned to this classification. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by those occupying this position. The job description and job functions described herein are subject to possible modification by Kanopi Studios in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
No agencies, recruiters or overseas applicants.